Monday, September 17, 2007

Serendipity

Serendipity. The effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely.

I’m not talking about the movie; rather I’m talking about Poynter Online’s, E-Media Tidbits. Echo didn’t expect to have such a response to their site and I think that it’s truly amazing that they did. I believe that the way the public reacted to the forum shows how the world of journalism is changing.

It’s not just simply about print anymore; it’s about change and making good things better- even if it was discovered accidentally!

In reference to the timeline story:
I believe that if it makes it easier for the reader to understand, use it. Maybe it’s a matter or preference (I’m more of a visual person,) so looking at a timeline- or something of that sort- while I’m reading the story helps me to better understand what the writing is saying.

But at the same time, if you chose to use this multimedia function, don’t make it too complicated! And as the story says, “You must avoid "mystery meat" navigation -- that is, a timeline that doesn't give them anything but the time information.”

No comments: