Monday, September 10, 2007

Moyers & Interviewing

Since freshman year, I’ve been learning the art of interviewing (and I say art because it really is an art). Even though I’ve been interviewing people for years now, it really is nice to refresh my memory. Knowing how to approach the interview and actually preparing for it, I believe is the most crucial part. If you prepare for something you’ll be ready for anything I always say.
In one of my interviewing classes last week we watched Bill Moyers interview Jon Stewart from the Daily Show and in the entire 30 minute interview you knew that Moyers had done intense preparation for it. Moyers even said that it takes him months to prepare for interviews like that.
And I think that is something to strive for with up and coming journalists. Prepare the best you can, take your time with it and if you’re going to do it, do it right. Moyers is a great interviewer and I think we can all learn something from him.

No comments: