Sunday, November 25, 2007

LINKS

You Must Be Streaming” tells us that the world of news is constantly changing. As journalists, we know that. We know that web news is different from both newspapers and television news. The article also tells us another obvious thing… “Don’t do Web video if you don’t have anything interesting to show, and don’t compete with TV unless you can do something they can’t or won’t.” Either way, television news does have some competition, because of course people want to pick the news they want to hear about and of course they want it anytime they please.

The blog talking about Ken Speake I found was both quite interesting and truthful. Speaking from experience I agree with what Speake said about not knowing how the story is going to unfold until you actually go over the footage/ visuals. I can also completely agree with how he thinks some broadcasters have an awful tone of voice. They do sometimes sound “inhuman” and their voices sound very forced sometimes. When I watch the news and experience a reporter like I am very tempted to change stations.

I found the article “What Journalism Can’t Do” very interesting. I was unaware that there was an actual study done on the numbers in a tragedy. Although I didn’t know one existed, as a journalist I tend to use the story of one individual person to bring something to my telling of it. I feel that focusing on one individual person and then relating it back to the bigger picture does have a deeper impact. It puts a face to the story and that greatly affects people.

The site about Online Storytelling forms sounds pretty interesting. I’ve never done any sort of online journalism and I think it would be very helpful if we could possibly learn something about it in class. Even the idea of mixing different tools to produce online storytelling is very exciting to me!

No comments: