Sunday, October 7, 2007

Separation of Church & State

Rudy Giuliani is Roman Catholic. Rudy Giuliani supports abortion rights. These two sentences are supposed to contradict each other and because of that, many Catholics are upset.
In the article, it explains that “
the Giuliani campaign has long been expecting to be confronted with this issue, but made a calculation that a small percentage of Republican voters and conservative Christian leaders would never support a candidate who supports abortion rights.”
To that, Giuliani said that “when talking about the life issue, first of all, ‘I will do no harm. I will not seek to liberalize existing law on abortion.’”
When reading the article I kept thinking about the separation of church and state.
I know abortion is an important issue, but I don’t think it belongs in politics… it is a religious and personal thing. I don’t think religion and politics should be mixed… and the sad thing is is that they are.
Everyone has a right to their opinion, and I think people should respect Giuliani for his opinion, but not hold it against him when it comes to the elections.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I completely agree with your idea that abortion is a personal and religious issue. Doesn't it seem sad that candidates are making "calculations" about who will support their moral issues? Morals should be based on the individual's beliefs, not their desire to win an election. Abortion needs to stay a "to each his own issue."

Lindsey said...

As a catholic myself who believes in the right to chose I agree with what you are saying here. But sadly that is not the case in politics today. With questions of right to privacy and right life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness constantly in limbo -- questions like abortion will forever be a hot topic on the political forum. I myself find Guiliani refreshing for admitting his beliefs even though he knows it could ultimately cost him many votes. At least he's coming out and saying what he means not just what he thinks the voters want to hear.

Tricia said...

I really agree. I've always had a problem with abortion taking such a high seat in elections - especially in recent years where it seems like those who are against abortion have the ability to swing the election. The Catholic vote is not of small importance anymore. In the last presidential election it changed the outcome... and it bothers me that a large amount of those people voted based on an issue that is not even political.

Will said...

I agree that abortion receives more attention than other issues of equal importance, but I don't think you can say that it's not a political issue. Pro-lifers argue that abortion is murder, and murder is a social and therefore political issue. You won't find any pro-lifers saying that abortion is a strictly religious issue, even if they base their pro-life stance solely on religious beliefs. It's the pro-choicers, especially Catholic pro-choicers, who have something to gain by portraying abortion as a religous issue only -- it allows them to point to separation of church and state, an attempt to end political debate over abortion.

Hobo with a focus said...

I agree with you, I don’t think abortion should be a political issue. I think people spend too much time focusing on issues such as abortion and neglect issues like foreign policy.